Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year in London




It was my first Xmas and New Year in London, and I think the festive atmosphere is quite good. I paid my first visit to Tate modern, which is really nice, the style and layout of the building match perfectly with the paintings/works exhibited there. The spiral slides in the main hall are quite impressive, there are three of them, I will definitely come back and try them. I had lunch in the coffee/restaurant area on the first floor, with high glass windows offering good view of the south bank.

Had a walk around in Oxford Street before Xmas, the lights and the crowd really lighten up the city. And inside the club tiger, the pre Xmas party was already in full swing. I had a redbull Vodka and quite enjoyed the music, although I have to admit I don’t feel I belong to the crazy party world anymore. Having done all the late night out on the weekends in Beijing for two years, I feel I want something different that stimulate me, other than the loud music and heavy drinking.

New Years eve climaxed at London eye, I was with some friends watching the fireworks. We were very wise to get there early enough that we got a good spot where we can see the whole London eye. It was windy and a bit chilly (compared with Beijing it is still quite mild for winter) We were standing next to two boys and girls in their late teens, and the girls in mini skirts were trembling in the wind. For some reason I still don’t understand, some girls here seem to think the less they dress in winter, the sexier they are.

The crowd was cheering and screaming when the big illuminated numbers came up in the high rise building just behind us. The countdown started and the crowd was in good spirits and it was a good feeling to be there when the first fireworks broke up in the sky behind the big wheel (London eye). It was spectacular display and the whole sky on south bank was lit up with beautiful fireworks cracking on and off. Champagne was sprayed and people started hugging/kissing their friends, I got a kiss on the cheek from a friend and four of us hugged together. This was certainly a new year celebration I will remember.

It was a long journey coming home (long not in terms of distance but the time spent on walking back to waterloo tube station which was only five minutes away). After losing my friends in the first three minutes, I decided to fight my way through the crowd. There are some advantages of being alone sometimes, it is easier for manoeuvre. Fortyfive minutes later, I found myself in the waterloo station and from there it was an easy way home. Got home around 2 am, and woke up at 8:30 to the sun shining through my window, looks like a beautiful start of the new year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, spending New Year's Eve in London seems great.

I spent it with my son. He's teenager now. I was afraid that he wouldn't want to have the dinner with me, but he did. I'm really thankful for that.

BTW, I hope you don't mind that I put the link to this post at my blog.