Thursday, August 02, 2007

Canary wharf and Greenwich village











If you really want to get a good feel of a metropolitan city feel in London, then canary wharf is the place. After 17 months since I moved here, I paid a rather belated visit to the area on a fine summer day. And right after I came out of the tube station, I saw the Reuters Square, where they have their logo on top of a high rise office building and the bill board screen showing the stock prices. Such a familiar look, that is the company I worked for three and a half years and it was literally my first job, certainly the first one with a multinational company. So much has changed since 1995 when I joined the company. And Reuters will soon be the Thomason-Reuters, a Canadian-British company. And here I am, standing in front of the building, contemplating life is a mysterious spinning wheel that you never know where you would end up in ten or twenty years. One thing I do know though, I am not back to where I started, I am just passing by my old memory in the unexpected way.

Greenwich village is an interesting place, now with cutty sark being renovated (burnt down with severe damage two months ago), it is a quieter than expected on the street. But it is school holiday time, when I reached the top of the hill in the park where the maritime museum is, I saw the groups of school kids packing out right in front of the entrance. It is a good viewing point on the top of the hill, you get to see the panorama view of the canary wharf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thomson Reuters rather than Thomas Reuters ! And probably not too long before it is simply Thomson Corp !

Editorial are unhappy. Shareholders are delighted - some upside at last.

Majorca sounds like a fun trip. We were in England, London and Devon, last week. Nice weather. Devon was very relaxing.