Thursday, March 24, 2011

The inner strength of a nation

The inner strength of a nation is reflected in how the people react to a devastating event. I have been deeply impressed by the way Japanese come to terms with the effects of earthquake and Tsunami. I admire their courage, the emotional depth and the controlled and dignified way responding to the disaster. One colleague in Japan wrote in her email to me, “there are a lot of disruptions in the public transportation in Tokyo due to power cut, but nobody in the office complained about it…” I think this is the very Japanese way. They don’t complain and blame, they just take it in stride.
There is a little Japanese restaurant Suzu around corner from our office. Today they are doing a donation to the relief efforts in Japan. Maki, the owner of the restaurant has lost friends and godson in the earthquake and Tsunami. I went there at lunch time, there was a long queue of people getting their sushi boxes. Apparently the news has gone out pretty quickly, the office workers around came out. All the proceeds today will go to British red cross. I got in the queue feeling sad and happy at the same time. It is a warm sunny day, the flowers have come back to London. There is a guy name Masa playing a pop violin in the restaurant. The tunes were enchanting with a touch of sadness. Gazing into the blue sky, looking at the busy staff preparing for the sushi boxes and the crowd around me, I felt very moved.

No comments: