Friday, August 18, 2006

Three years anniversary since first visit to Sweden


Yesterday marked my three year anniversary visiting Sweden. And I am staying in this exactly same hotel. That was a warm sunny day three years ago when I arrived here, and the sun was just starting to come down. It was early in the evening, I had a walk around the hotel and was quite impressed by the tranquillity and the green here.

Now I have been to Sweden for at least ten times, though embossing enough that I still don’t understand much Swedish at all other than “hej”. It is so easy to get around since everybody speaks good English. To celebrate my three year anniversary for being a regular visitor to Sweden, I decided to take a long walk after work yesterday. When I was walking through the green with country houses in the woods, I was quite indulged in this peace and utterly refreshing scene. This is the kind of Scandinavian beauty, simple, fresh, peaceful and humble, but I can certainly see the attractions here. I took a deep breath of the crispy air mixed with fresh grass smell, I could almost feel the clean air going deep down through my lungs.

Apart from the weather, Sweden is a lucky country in a lot of ways, but obviously the government has done a good job to make it an industrialized country but at the same time preserving the natural environment. Its success is built on highly educated population and well run welfare system that give most people a comfortable life. And even famous for being a liberal society, the traditional family values are well reserved. And it is also a very equal and harmonious society, class is not something people tend to have in their mind.

South Sweden (represented by Malmo and its vicinity, which used to be ruled by Danish hundred years ago), it is quite different from Stockholm. Clearly, there is subtle competition going on between the south and the north, like in any other countries. It is warmer and sunnier in summer, and it has much more open land for houses and it is generally a more laidback life style.

While I was walking along the road along the forest, there are bird with very pretty long colourful tails flying over the bushes and trees, and wild blue berry tree spread all over the small hills, it was such a good feeling to be so close to the nature.

Coming from a country so populous and still poor at large, sometimes I can’t help to envy a country like Sweden. However, it is much easier to run a small country which has enjoyed two hundred years of peace and with much ample per capital resource. As for China, there are too many issues we need to tackle at the same time.


No comments: