Sunday, December 03, 2006

Welcome to my virtual place?

Myspace has been agressively pushing into China, a hot potato that is not so easy to eat for a cyber community based business. Obviously, online community has been the new hype, ranging from my space, Youtube and virtual place where you can build your virtual world. I am not sure if I am just too old fashioned to get too excited about the new hippy thing, believe it or not, I do have a home page in myspace, but I rarely use it. The reason is very simple, I find it way too superficial, and most people profiles tend to be very graphic than narrative. But I guess it is not really the thing targeting poeple like me anyway, I was not raised in an environment where cyber space is quickly transforming the community we used to be familiar with.

A friend of mine questions that 11 hours a week as average usage of Internet (based on the statistics) is too little, as one of the averge users, personally I think that is way enough. I think I spend 30 minutes reading the news, 30 minutes doing my emails, and occasionally doing some online shopping and chatting with friends. That is really about it, well, yes, my blog which I might spend 3 to 4 hours a month to keep it alive!

Computer and Internet, along with other modern technology, has brought us wonderful things - information becomes more transparent, fast and no boundaries, and we get to talk with people from anywhere in the world. And of course, Internet has facilitate across-border tradings and gambling. And indeed Internet has created a lot of innovative new jobs that you wouldn't think of otherwise. In essence, Internet represents speed and sharing.

However, is speed always a good thing? And the bigger question is, is the online (virtual)community ever going to replace the real world/network/community we live in? Or at least is it healthy to spend more than two hours on Internet unless that is your job? When I see a seven years old boy completely addicted to computers games, I get quite worried. And I still couldn't understand the appeal of that virtual world, or any other virtual world really? Recently there are some savvy computer programmes that enable you to build yourself in the virtual world, where you build your house, dress up yourself and invite your virtual friends to join your party. I still struggle to understand how people could spend hours building their fantasy in this online wonder land.

My childhood was a typical example of pre computer/Internet era, I spent eight years in countryside where I joined other kids running in the field, climbing the trees and playing those simple games. I admit they are might not be as inspiring for the brain as computer games, but I had a fabulous time and it was certainly good for me physically as I was a very weak and small child when I was born. And I still believe fresh air, the green and outdoor fun help the children build relationships with the nature, which is not something you get by playing computer games five hours a day.

I guess I would be classified as nostalgic, don't get my wrong, I emrace modern technology as everybody else, I certainly don't want to go back to caves and hunting for wild animals :) I wouldn't be able to survive in that kind of harsh environment. But I think it is about a fine balance between making good use of technology but not letting it take your life away. Sometimes I don't think faster is always better, life becomes so fast paced in most big cities these days, it is nice to have a break from all these noises, so we have time to think and indulge. And I am still a strong believer in human contact, hopefully we won't enter an age when everybody only meet everybody in their virtual place, that would be a bit sad, wouldn't it?