Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring London



It's been lovely weather this week, almost feel like we are living in a miracle - sunny and warm ( a bit chilly in the air still) and the gardens are in full blossom. It is the London we all love, but we don't get so much. 

Talking about miracle, that is what we need for the economy really. So far I still have a job, although the golden days in our industry are long gone. Now it is neck breaking competition. 

I am going to the seaside in the south coast this weekend, Mark is already down there with his dad. His sister and I will join them tomorrow. Boscombe has attracted quite some attention in the recent year since they started the artificial surf reef a few years ago. Things are taking in shape. We were there in July last year, while the seafront flats were selling as "hot cakes" (according to the sales lady). I am quite interested to see the progress in the past 9 months. 

What I am really looking forward is the home visit in mid April. We will go to Beijing and then off to Guilin for a few days sightseeing. It would be great to see my old friends, one of them I haven't seen for eight years.  The recession in the west has hit China quite badly as well, and it is quite a difficult job to manage a economy with such a vast population and still largely unskilled workers.  I don't agree with the government on a lot of issues, but I would like to give them some credit on the management of economy. 

It is a rather interesting new phenomenon.  I remember 20 years when China was just opening up, everybody in China looked at the west with full admiration. And not surprisingly in a lot of industries, the benchmark has been the western companies/banks. My sister works for one of the biggest commercial bank in risk management in the head office. They used to have RBS as their strategic partners and there are some "RBS experts" stationed in their bank for years doing training and lectures. She recalls last year in one of the seminars they were shocked the loose lending policy RBS had taken, but when they questioned this kind of very risky practice, the answer is that they "understand the risks and they have a system to manage the risks." Well, maybe not! Thinking back, she is glad that their bank didn't adopt the "expert practice". 

Friday evening, I am home alone, a bit usual, but in a way it is kind of nice to have some time for myself. 

And in this lovely spring sunny day, I can't really complain. On the way back from work today, I walked through Holland park, and I can't help to think how lucky I am to have a wonderful park just in the door steps!




No comments: