Sunday, March 19, 2006

Everybody's London?

"It doesn't get more international than London." Someone in the group said. I was at a London internatonal community social event, a few local Londoners, mostly people from other parts of Europe, and as usual, I was one of the few people from Asia. I looked around, well, yes, I guess you can say that, even though to me, Europe is like one big family and even culture and economy wise, there are still distinctive differences.

It is always a good idea to get 0ut and meet people, I admit it is a bit difficult to be in a foreign land again, but then again, I am not alone. It was a rainy night, and it was my third week in London, I was very glad I didn't choose to stay in the hotel room. That would be a pity, for being in such an exciting city.

Then I was surprised to hear some comments about British by some of the newcomers to London. "I feel people are kind of cold here, I have been here for 3 months now and still don't have any local friends. "

Well, I think it is never easy to the newcomers to any community, especially in big cities, you easily get lost - you see the excitement and dynamics of the city but you feel isolated and not part of the aciton. I don't feel I should make a judgement yet, after all, four weeks is too short time to get to know a city and its people.

Loneliness is something we as human beings always have to fight against, it is natural to feel lonely, because essentially only you knows yourself the best, nobody else does. But should this stop us from communicating and sharing with others? the answer is no. I always believe it adds some real meanings to my life when I am connected with others.

After a few emotional ups and downs in the first four weeks, I start to feel quite happy with being here and eager to explore what is out there in this city.

And it is a sunny day today, my fourth week in London. Had a nice walk by the river Thames, lovely day. When I was sitting in a polish cafe in Ravenscourt, the sun was streaming down in the table, I was content with the moment; and then I realize maybe we get too greedy and demanding for what life could offer, to live the moment, and remember every single good moment you have lived, that is one way of living too.

No comments: