Monday, March 06, 2006

Weekend in London

It is a lovely day to take a walk in the Hyde park, the chilliness is still in the air, but we have beautiful blue sky, and the grass is already green (or it stays green all year long, I am not sure). I think I start to like the city a lot, apparently it has a very metropolitan life as I experienced last night. Walking down the street in Chelsea, it almost feels like the busy streets with stores, restaurants and bars in Shanghai. And yes, it is just amazing to see how British really like to drink a lot – even during lunch hours, you see people having beer in pubs. Funny though I think I spot the Chinese beer “Tsing Tao” on one table during the dinner in a trendy Asian restaurant in Chelsea. And again, the price for the standard cocktail drinks shocked me. A majitto would cost 8 pounds in a nice pub in Chelsea, which is far more expensive than centro, the swanky lobby bar in Kerry Center in Beijing.

The UK representative to Euro Vision was selected tonight and to my big surprise and disappointment, the rap singer Daz Sampson got the ticket to Athens. I thought that was totally a strange performance, not that I don’t like rap, I actually do, but “this mid aged guy had this old fashioned stone wash Jacket on, singing and dancing along with some under aged girls” – as one of the panellists pointed out, “everything was wrong and altogether it looks right.” He is not my favourite for sure, and I seriously it is a joke to send a singer/performer like him to Euro vision, it is very doubtful that UK will get a chance this year in the competition.

A lady in the office who helped with the relocation asked me how I am getting along with the life in London, as she said “ I guess it could be difficult that you might find people are not super friendly here as they don’t tend to make eye contact.” It is probably true, but well it is more or less the case with most major big cities, there are always some snobs there, but once you manage to break the ice, you will find the nice warm people around you.

I like the Parkinson show, compared with Larry King, who annoying like to take over the show, trying to be smarter and outshine the guests. Mr. Parkinson, knows how to get the best out of his guests and let them shine and be themselves.

No comments: