Thursday, March 02, 2006

House Hunting in London

I spent two days on house hunting in London, quite an experience I have to say. The lady from the relocation company drove me around in her big landrover SUV, and we managed to see 16 properties in day one and 8 properties in day two, I was amazed by what we were able to achieve. And at the end of day two, we actually made our offer. I finally set my eye on this one bedroom house in Brook Green, a very nice residential area with lots of trees and green and beautiful period houses. My to be home is on the 1st floor (by British standard) of this converted period house. The reception room has two big bottom up windows overlooking the garden and street. It is high ceilings throughout and the bedroom is on the slightly lower level, with big wardrobes and shoe cabinets. The main reason I chose this flat over the much spacious two bedroom flat in a modern block is that I just love the style of those flats split in the period houses, they got a bit more charactern and flavor than the new modern flats. And this house is only 10 minutes to my office, which is a real plus considering the traffic situation in London.

Even I had been told many time that property price in London is just outrageous but I was still shocked to learn how much I end up paying for my rent. That is £1200 ($2000 or CNY 16000) per month for a one bedroom flat, not even in the most expensive areas like Kensington or Chelsea. But then again, it is London, there is a certain life style you don’t get elsewhere, so there is a price to pay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny, gbp1,200 is ok for london ! Have you ever tried to be a foreigner renting in Beijing ! Or try renting in Hong Kong - ouch !! Check what is and is not included - eg electricity/gas/water.

Anonymous said...

ex Beijinger:

You know what you will get in Beijing for 1200 GBP per month, a three bedroom apartment in Palm Spring across street from Chaoyang park. Very nice new property.

But I agree with you, HKG is probably not any cheaper. The bottom line is London does have a lot to offer.