Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dynamic environment and multi-cultural babies

Anther ordinary day in the office, yet, the rainy weather is finally over so we are blessed by sun and blue sky again. While sitting out having lunch, one of them said, “don’t you realize that we work for such a dynamic company, we have people from every continent in our office.” I guess I never really thought about this, well, I always know that I work for a multi-cultural company, the fact we are a joint venture between east and west does make a difference on the company’s culture.

Then I got into thinking, so exactly how many nationalities we have in our office in London.

Here is my count:

Come in office in the morning, I would be greeted by two nice South African girls at reception, and on the floor I work, we have Chinese, Japanese, English, Scottish, Dutch, Swedish, Chilean, Australian and American. And we also have Italians and French working here.

Considering we only have 70 people officially based in our office in London, that is quite a good representative of the continents.

Personally I am not a big fan of corporate conglomerate, even I have always worked for big multinational companies. And the truth is, in this new century, we have seen more than ever the flow of people across countries and continents.

But is it the dynamic environment that creates those multi-cultural babies who at least speak two languages and who thrive in a fast moving, seamlessly integrated global market. Or rather it is those people who are the driving force of the free flow of goods, services and naturally the people across boundaries?

No comments: